Pages

Monday, December 1, 2014

Growing Garlic

Garlic is supposed to be one of the easiest plants to grow.  You just put the cloves in the ground and wait.  I've read plenty of articles about growing garlic at home, so I thought I'd give it a try.
 I took a head of garlic from the fridge and separated it into cloves (make sure to replace it promptly, or you will have some unhappy cooks - sorry honey!).  You don't need to peel the cloves before planting them, or do any other prep.

Next, I carved out a piece of the garden about 24x12 inches, and loosened up the soil.  The garden patch I chose is equal parts Georgia clay, compost, and peat moss.  I've since learned other techniques to form a garden bed, but I digress.  I loosened the soil with a garden trowel, and planted the cloves about 3 inches deep and 5 inches apart.  I planted them around the first week of October in Georgia, which is still pretty mild.

From everything I've read, garlic does fine over the winter, and is best planted in the fall so it has a full season to establish itself.  Sure enough, about a week or so after planting, the slips of garlic started to poke their heads from the soil.  About 8 weeks after planting, they are roughly six inches high.  The garlic should grow through the spring and summer, and will be ready to harvest when the stalks turn yellow.  From there, I just need to dig em up and dry em out for a couple days.

I'll update the site with my results, but to review, planting garlic is easy as:

1) Separate the cloves from the head.  Each clove will into a new head of garlic.
2) Pick a relatively sunny site, and plant the cloves 3 inches deep, and 5 inches apart.
3) Wait, and harvest when the stalks turn yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment