Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

Garlic Harvesting




 Garlic is normally harvested when the leaves start to turn brown, but my pumpkin vines pulled down my garlic stalks, so I decided to harvest early.

Harvesting is easy.  Just dig beneath the bulb, loosen the soil, and gently coax the entire plant from the earth.  Remove the larger clumps of soil from the root ball and bulb.


When you get everything out of the ground, hang the bulbs upside down and allow them to cure for a few weeks until everything is pretty well dried out.  The curing station should be out of the sun in a well ventilated area.  I used a wire shelf to hang the bulbs I harvested.

Once everything is dried out, you can trim the roots and leaves, or braid the leaves into a string of garlic.  It should store pretty well provided you keep it dry and relatively cool.






No comments:

Post a Comment